It's 2002. She makes a joke at my expense. I feel happy. I feel wanted . I feel needed . For once, I do not feel like an outlier, like a footnote on my family's history. My friends look at me expecting a reaction, but I can only manage to glance in her direction trying to steal a flash from those determined eyes I have come to admire so much. I get nothing. I think she is as nervous as I am, but she does not show it. It's 2023. I am sitting alone in a small flat trying to recall the elusive feeling of 21 long years prior and, to my surprise and grand delight, it is still here . It's 2002. The war that ravages the country feels closer to the cities now, and I am a member of the reserve army. There is a remote chance that I will be called upon to join the military. Fear runs through the community, and one day I find a letter in my grey backpack. It's from her. She has always been a better writer than I can ever hope to be, but this time I can feel her tremulous h...
Comments
Post a Comment